Saturday 16 May 2015

My gift from God

I first met Devon on July 1st 2007, a few days before I turned fifteen years old. My best friend convinced me to go to Centeen with her to watch the fireworks and meet some of her friends that attended Thousand Island Secondary School, where I was transferring in the fall. I met so many people that night names blurred together and on the way home me and her giggled about the future, what TISS would be like and we even stumbled upon the topic of marriage- what if I was to marry someone I met that night? When we dreamed of the future I can safelty say Devon didn’t cross my mind as a possibility- I never even said hello to him! As he described it he was walking over the over pass with a boy I went to elementary school with (his best friend, Matt Walker) and he asked him who I was.

Later that night, I got added to MSN by Matt, who couldn't stop talking about this boy named Devon and I undoubtly thought he was crazy? I hadn’t talked to Matt since third grade and who was this guy he was raving about? I believe I just closed the conversation box and didn’t think much of it, and don’t think him or Devon did either until I walked into their Science class in the fall.

Apparently he didn’t hear the news of my transfer until I walked into his class and sat behind him. His crazy best friend was ecstatic and did everything in his power to play match maker- and I still believe at this point I hadn’t even said hello to the infamous boy yet! Turns out I was horrible at Science, and not a huge fan of the attention Matt was shining on me being in such close proximity to Devon- so I did what any tenth grader would do- switch classes!

Eventually Devon mustered up the courage to talk to me in our English class (that his wingman wasn’t in) and after that it didn’t take very long for me to fall head over heels for him. We would talk all night on the phone. I was very stubborn on dating. I told him I only wanted to date one person in my life- and I was going to marry him and die with him, but he still didn’t give up and after a year of being friends he asked me to be his girlfriend when we were sixteen years old. He was my first boyfriend and last.

He didn’t know what he was signing up for; I had a rough home-life and when I met Devon, my life was crazy, surreal and chaotic. It was more than a sixteen year old should have to deal with, but he didn’t bat an eye. Walking away wasn’t an option, it never even seemed to cross his mind. I remember thinking that God sent him to me to make up for the pain I had endured- I still think that. He was my angel, he is my angel. I know with certainty that I wouldn’t be here without his love, undying belief in me- he thought I was the strongest person in the world when I was at my weakest. He treated me like gold when all I felt like was dirt.

I thought he was the most amazing gift from God, after so long of heartache I saw my life had a future, had meaning and purpose when I looked into his eyes. He seemed so sure of everything- which was the safest I had ever felt in my life. The pain and challenges didn’t end when I met him, it actually got worse and I hit rock bottom about two years into our relationship. I was able to get out of the poisonous environment I found myself in, but before things get better they usually get worse-lost most of my family, friends and myself. I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I had no idea who I was; the only thing I knew was that I loved him.  After leaving that environment, I was left with a different kind of prison- I was prisoner to my mind, my nightmares and my fears. He stood by me every step of the way, cried with me, soothed me, and loved me in a time I was unlovable. He carried me through the hell of my own mind and slowly taught me how to walk again- and now years later, I can run.

Since then we have created the most amazing memories, shared laughter, tears, fought our demons and chased our dreams, and I wouldn’t give up a minute of our life together for anything! It is mind boggling to me that we have been married for two years, dated for over six, and met nearly eight years ago! It is a type of sadness as the years pass, but it makes me cherish the days I have you by my side even more than I already do.

Thank you for being my gift from God,

Love you forever and always

Mar


















Below is our stunning wedding video that are amazing friends created for us. That we can never say Thank-You enough for <3 Love you guys!
Seventh Cinema- Mitch Spicer, Mike Rowntree




No comments:

Post a Comment